Torteval, Guernsey Holidays

The Guernsey Parish of Torteval is the smallest of the ten Guernsey parishes.  Torteval is the westernmost parish of Guernsey.  Torteval is split in two by the parish of St Pierre du Bois, the main part known as Torteval and the detached part as Pleinmont-Torteval.

​The southern coast of Torteval is composed entirely of rugged cliffs.  In the northwest of Torteval there is a small fishing harbour called Portelet and the southern end of Rocquaine Bay.

​In the centre of the parish is a church built in 1818 with one of the oldest bells in the Channel Islands.  The Church is built on the site of an earlier Church that had fallen into disrepair.  The current Church has the tallest steeple in Guernsey, and is intended to be used as a sea-mark.

The most western parish of Guernsey, Torteval is also the smallest of the ten parishes. Its name comes from the Guernésiais words for ‘twisting valley’ and in the language Guernésiais people from Torteval were nicknamed “ânes à pid dé ch’fa”. The southern coast of Torteval is composed entirely of rugged cliffs whilst in its centre is a church built in 1818. The church has one of the oldest bells in the Channel Islands and also the tallest steeple in Guernsey. The Fort Grey and Shipwreck museum is a popular tourist attraction as well as the surrounding Rocquaine Bay.

​Some of the tourist attractions in Torteval, Guernsey are shown below.

Tourist Attractions in Torteval, Guernsey

Pleinment, Torteval, Guernsey

Torteval
Guernsey
Channel Islands

German Directional Finding Tower, Torteval, Guernsey

Torteval
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Table des Rions (Fairy Ring), Pleinmont, Torteval, Guernsey

Pleinmont
Torteval
Guernsey
Channel Islands